Karaganda State Medical University
Magazine
Medicine and Ecology
Home
General information
History of the university

The history of medical university from the beginning of its foundation is a way of establishment of professional leader not only in medicine sphere but in the higher education in a whole. The history of Karaganda state medical university is a reflection of history of the country and the establishment of health care of the whole Kazakhstan.

The development of medical education system in our country began from the foundation of medical university in Alma-Ata in 1931. However the university couldn’t satisfy a growing need of the country in healthcare personnel. For which reason the republican bodies and health care people's commissariat USSR were taken up the matter with the necessity of medical university establishment in Karaganda city which became a regional center with the population of 196 thousand more people in 1940. But the Great Patriotic War changed plans and establishment of the Karaganda medical institute was reconsidered only in 1947 when the Karaganda regional health care department proposed to the Ministry of Health of the Soviet Union the opening of university in the mining capital. The resolution of the Council of Ministers on 16th of November, 1947 obliged to move to Karaganda the "one of the acting medical institutions". The order of Chairman of the USSR Council of Ministers of the 5th December, 1949 has been issued indicating “ to oblige the Council of Ministers of the RSFSR and the USSR Ministry of Health to move from the liquidated Kazan dental institute to Karaganda medical institute professors, teachers and students who graduated the first course”. The director of the institute was appointed a physician Peter Moiseevich Pospelov.

By the assignment of the USSR People's Commissariat of Health Peter Moiseevich arrived in Karaganda from Stavropol Territory where he was born, studied and started his working career. Karaganda was the place of development of Peter Moiseevich as a doctor, teacher and organizer of a public health. P.M. Pospelov started his medical practice in the hospital as the head of therapy department, and then as the hospital chief officer. In September 1939, Peter Moiseevich was appointed to the position of deputy head of the Karaganda regional health department. Since April 1940 P. Pospelov was confirmed in office of the head of Karaganda regional health department. According to the Order of the Health Ministry of the Kazakh SSR Peter Pospelov Moiseich was appointed to the position of director of the Karaganda medical institute (KMI) in April 1950. Between 1950 and 1974 under the guidance of Peter Moiseevich there was a time of establishment and development of the institute.

Higher-education teaching personnelof the KMI included specialists arrived from Kazan to Karaganda: a professor Abram Iosifovich Labbok, a candidate of historical sciences Mariya Mihailovna Lonyshakova, a candidate of biological sciences Angelina Arcadievna Zorina, a biologist Modest Evgenievich Afanasyev, a biochemist Valentina Iosifovna Yakubovskaya, a candidate of medicine and physiologist Anvar Arslanovich Uzbekov, a senior professor Boris Grigorievich Mokeev, professors-dentists Vera Stepanovna and Valeryan Aleksandrovich Lavrovy, a teacher-anatomist Galiya Gareevna Shamseeva, a chemist Boris Grigorievich Mokeev, an infectious diseases doctor Abraam Yakovlevich Shulgin, a microbiologist Grigoriy Iosifovich Mar, an obstetrician-gynaecologist Isaak Iosifovich Kaganovich, surgeons Dina Lazarevna Zirlina, Mark Grigorievich Shraiber, Grigoriy Yakovlevich Hvoles, a therapeutist Evgeniy Israilevich Zukerstein, a physical-education teacher Evgeniy Petrovich Shepelev.

On September 1, 1950 Karaganda medical institute opened its doors for the first students: 127 of the first course students and 101 students of the second one, 69 of which came from Kazan. It was opened 11 departments of the only medical faculty. In 1950 there were only 23 teachers, including 3 doctors and 3 candidates of sciences in the university. The first science achievement of KMI was carrying out of the scientific student conference which was held on November 21, 1950. The postgraduate residency was opened in 1952. In 1955 Karaganda medical institute finished the implementation of the six-year education program and there were the first graduates - 94 doctors, including 15 people with the highest distinction. In 1957 the institute received a priority of the defense of a thesis at the Academic board. Peter Moiseevich Pospelov was appointed to the position of Chairman of the Academic board. The first were assistants N.K. Popova and G.G. Shamseeva who defended the theses in candidacy for a degree in medicine on April 24, 1958.

A difficult period of the university establishment ended with the first graduation of medical students and priority of the defence of a thesis. The 60s were the period of strong growth and development for the Karaganda medical institute. The list of scientific specialties was approved in 1967: obstetrics and gynecology, human anatomy, internal diseases, pathological physiology, surgery and biological chemistry according to which the Academic board of KMI was allowed to accept the defense of theses and award the degree of candidate of medical sciences. At the meetings of the Academic board of KMI the theses were defended by the institute members as well as by candidates from other republics of the USSR, which indicates a high level of scientific capability of the Karaganda medical institute among the educational institutions of the Soviet Union. Thus, among the people who defended theses in the 60s at KMI were representatives of the medical institutions of Almaty, Semipalatinsk, Tashkent, Andijan and Moscow. At the Academic board of KMI from 1958 to 1972 there were 186 defences of theses in candidacy for a degree of medical sciences and 23 defences in candidacy for the degree of doctor of medical sciences.

In 1961 the institute was awarded the first category and a year later the pediatric faculty was opened. Industrial enterprises, organization of the construction industry, garment manufacturers,foodprocessors and other industries, sanitary and epidemiological city stations allocated infrastructure for the educational process and practical training to the students of the sanitary and hygienic faculty. The all Karaganda hospitals allowed students of medical and pediatric departments to gain the clinical skills. The level of scientific research conducted at the institute confirms the participation of the key KMI scientists in international scientific congresses. On November 27, 1965 Karaganda medical institute received a telegram to the head of the psychiatry department and professor Abram Moiseevich Svyadosh with an invitation to participate in the III International Congress of Psychosomatic Medicine which was held in Paris on September 15-18, 1966. In the request of the university administration to the external relations board there was pointed that "a professor A.M. Svyadosh is fluent in French, German and English, and his book "Neuroses and their treatment" is widely known abroad".

In 1966 the Central Research Laboratory was opened in the university and it was headed by the candidate of medical sciences Madeniat Madievich Sarsembayev. It was Madeniat Madievich who organized the Junior Academy of Sciences for pupils in the Palace of Children and Youth and has been its rector for a long time.

Along with the university the student’s research work was developing.

Thus, in KSMI there was the first republican scientific student conference with reports in foreign languages in 1964. A big event in the life of the institute was the carrying out of the first All-union student conference among the students of medical universities with reports in foreign languages in 1968. At this conference Scientific Society of KSMI presented 25 reports. At the conference there were listened 182 reports in English, German, French and Japanese. To the order of the Ministry of Health of the USSR the best 16 reporters were awarded a commendation.

It should be noted that to the early 70s the higher-education teaching personnel of the Karaganda medical institute included a highly qualified scientific and pedagogical staff with academic degrees at a level exceeding mid-point among of the Union.

In 1974 a candidate of medical sciences and the associate professor Alexander Petrovich Filin was appointed to the position of rector of KSMI, who guided the institute activity for 10 years. This period was marked by the opening of new departments. A.P. Filin was initiator of research work on a contractual basis, thereby research sector (RS) created in 1974 gained fame 2 years later as a reliable partner and a highly skilled executive of registered scientific and practical subjects. A dental faculty was opened in 1978. An associate professor Galim Tajibaevich Eslyamgaliev was the first dean of the dental faculty.

From 1984 to 1989 the head of the institute was a doctor of medical sciences and professor Nikolai Arkhipovich Hlopov. The faculty of preparing nurses was organized during this period, and the first head was a candidate of medical sciences and assistant professor Mikhail Yakovlevich Falikovich. The institute continued to work keeping traditions established by its founder, opened new departments and the great attention was paid to the research work.

For the achievements in All-Union socialist competition among medical and pharmaceutical universities and postgraduate medical institutes for 1985 and XI Five Year Plan Karaganda State Medical Institute was awarded second place among the medical universities of the USSR with the award of the Ministry of Health of the USSR diploma and the Central Committee of the health workers labor union and also there was a gift of money.

From 1989 through 2001 the rector of the institute was an academic of RK NAS, a doctor of medical sciences and professor Makash Tinishtikbaevich Aliyakparov. In 1990 department with Kazakh language of education was opened and the great opportunity to get the education on state language appeared. The head of the department was a candidate of medical sciences and associate professor Erkebulan Tuleubaevich Tuleubaev. The scientific research center was established in 1991. The first director was a doctor of medical sciences and professor Ermek Nigmetovich Sraubaev. At that time the preparatory department for foreign students began to work and it was headed by a candidate of medical sciences and associate professor Evgeniy Vladimirovich Puhov. In this year there was opened a faculty of general medicine as a main stage of theoretical preparation of students of general medicine, pediatrics and sanitary and hygienic departments. A candidate of medical sciences and associate professor Auezkhan Omarkhanovich Omarkhanov was appointed to the position of the dean of general medicine department. The medico-biologic faculty which was headed by doctor of medical sciences and professor Sergey Petrovich Terekhin was opened in 1992.

In this year a computer information center started to work on the basis of department of software and hardware education facilities that enabled to computerize the educational process. The first director of the center was Anuar Shaimerdenovich Baigulov. The department of doctors and nurses skills upgrading was opened in the institute in 1993 and it was headed by the doctor of medicine sciences and professor Aleksander Georgievich Shvetsov.

According to the Government Resolution of the Republic of Kazakhstan from the 25th of February, 1977 Karaganda state medical institute was changed to Karaganda state medical academy. The international cooperation division for the foreign students’ education was opened on the basis of the deanery of foreign citizens in 1999. The head of the department was a candidate of medical sciences and associate professor Aleksander Mihailovich Filatov. During the guidance of M.T. Aliyakparov a new conception of medical education was realized: multi-staged, modular and rating education and control system according to the teaching materials.

From 2001 through 2009 Karaganda state medical academy was headed by an academician of NAS of RK, doctor of medicine and professor Ilyas Rayhanovich Kulmagambetov. This period was marked by the opening of the English department for foreign students in 2001 which has greatly facilitated access to foreign citizens training in the academy. Time required new qualifications from future medical professionals and in this regard in 2002 the departments of pharmacy, oriental medicine and also the medical college were opened. The qualitative training of the teaching staff continued to improve. In 2002 at Karaganda state medical academy there was an approving of Dissertation council which accepted to the defense of a thesis for the degree of doctor of medical sciences in "Internal diseases" and "Pharmacology, clinical pharmacology for medical sciences". During the period of Dissertation council functioning (2002-2011) there were defended 15 theses for the degree of doctor of sciences and 75 theses for the degree of candidate of sciences. The chairman of the Dissertation council was an academician of NAS of RK MD and professor Ilyas Rayhanovich Kulmagambetov.

Since 2002 Karaganda state medical university participates in the implementation of international scientific research and development in collaboration with the state research center of virology and biotechnology "Vector" MoH of Russian federation (Novosibirsk c.) and the cancer research center of RAMS (Moscow). Also KSMU participated in two projects under the republican NTP "Development and manufacturing application of herbal medicinal products for the development of pharmaceutical Kazakhstan industry" (2002-2006) with the Institute of phytochemistry of MES of RK. In 2007 the professors Kani Zhumkenovich Musulmanbekov and Valentina Bronislavovna Sirota were awarded the State prize in science and technology of the RK according to the results of scientific research in the development of drug products for the cancer treatment.

During the period of 2002-2003 the medical academy participated in international conferences under cooperation with the World Health Organization "The rational use of drug products" and the 7th Regional meeting on the reform and development of pharmaceutical education of the Central Asian Republics".

In 2002 the institute received a license for medical practice. There was an opening of the dental clinic which was organized by the candidate of medical sciences and dentist of higher categoryKanat Madievich Smagulov. In the same year students had an opportunity to make medical care in the student clinic. Also the first in the Republic of Kazakhstan teaching and clinical laboratory of the institute began operating in 2002.

In accordance with the Order of the Ministry of education and science of the Republic of Kazakhstan № 812 dated 12 November 2002 "About realization of the scientific and pedagogical experiment by Karaganda State Medical Academy for development of the conceptual approach of national medical education standards adaptation to the international educational space". Within 5 years in the academy there was a scientific-pedagogical experiment (SPE) for the introduction of credit system in medical education. The results of this program were used in the development process of new state compulsory education standard on medical specialties of 2006, in instruction letter №6, in standard education program for medical specialties of 2006, in comparative analysis of student performance according to the SPE and the traditional form of education. The activity of KSMA and provided educational services were highlighted and presented at the international exhibition of higher education institutions “Education India 2002” which took place in New Delhi.

The public association "An independent labor union of employees and students of KSMU" was established in the Karaganda state medical academy in 2003.

The university was the first in the CIS which was certified for quality management system by the authorized body NQA-UK, NQA-Russia. KSMA took part in the national and international meetings in the framework of the strategic partnership of WHO / WFME for improving the quality of medical and pharmaceutical education (2003, 2005, 2006, 2007).

Within the implementation of the Concept reforming the medical and pharmaceutical education in the Republic of Kazakhstan (2006-2010) in the academy there was founded educational and clinical (simulation) center in 2007, which was headed by the candidate of medical sciences Viktor Petrovich Riklefs. All premises of the educational and monitoring center with the total area of 809.2 m2 are equipped with appropriate simulators, manikins, medical equipment and instruments, audio-video and computer equipment. In this year the Centre for medical education of KSMA was established and headed by the doctor of medical sciences Farida Nusupzhanovna Nurmanbetova. The Centre concerned international cooperation in the field of medical education and introduction of new learning technologies in the educational process. The following specialties "General medicine", "Public health" were opened in the institute in 2007, "Nursing" – in 2008.

In 2007 KSMA for the first time conducted the research in the field of medical education within the scientific and technical program "Scientific implementation of the Concept reforming the medical and pharmaceutical education in the Republic of Kazakhstan (2007-2009)". At the same time the institute for the first time took part in the rating of universities of Ministry of Education and Science of the RK and ranked first among medical institutions of the country.

Karaganda state medical academy entered the TOP-50 and took the 8th place among the best universities in Kazakhstan in 2008 in the rating of the Ministry of Education and Science of the RK. In the same year the academy signed Taraz declaration is a memorandum of universities of Kazakhstan. In this time period KSMA was included in the list of medical schools top-ranked by Medical council of India which graduates are permitted passing the qualification exams in India.

From 2009 through August, 2011 Karaganda state medical university was headed by the doctor of medical sciences and professor Murat Koyshibaevich Teleuov. In 2009 within the Concept of reforming the medical and pharmaceutical education in the RK according to the Government Resolution dated the 19th of February, 2009 №188 RSE (Republic state enterprise) "Karaganda state medical academy" was renamed as RSE "Karaganda state medical university." In the same year the university got the right to carry out educational activities for master's degree programs in the following specialties: "Medicine", "Public health", "Medical and preventive work", "Nursing" and residency in 9 specialties.

On September 17, 2010 within the integration into the European educational space in the context of the Bologna Process KSMU signed the Great University Charter in Bologna (Italy). The scope of competence of the graduate and professor of KSMU was developed and approved for the introduction of competence-based approach to the educational process. In 2010 the university clinics (dental clinic and polyclinic) were accredited against the health subject activity to the accreditation standards in the field of health of the Republic of Kazakhstan.

In 2010 Karaganda state medical university was recognized as the best medical higher education institution in Kazakhstan according to the rating of Independent Kazakhstan Quality Assurance Agency in Education (IQAA), at the same time the institution successfully passed institutional accreditation.

Since August, 2011 KSMU is headed by the doctor of medical sciences and professor Raushan Sultanovna Dosmagambetova. In 2011 Karaganda state medical university was ranked first among the universities of Kazakhstan according to the results of the intermediate state control. In the same year the university was accredited for scientific and / or technical and scientific activities, and in 2012 there was a state attestation. As a recognition of the high quality of the doctors training was the university inclusion in the directory of medical schools "Avicenna" by World Health Organization (World Directory of Medical Schools, WHO) in 2011.

The internal and external academic mobility of teaching staff and students (students, undergraduates and PhD students) is actively developing in the university since 2011. In 2012 KSMU got right to carry out educational activities for PhD doctoral programs in the field of "Medicine", "Public health" and "Pharmacy".

The KSMU Supervisory Board has been functioning in the university since April, 2012. It generates proposals for priority orientations of KSMU activity, counsels to the approved body on the draft plan for the university development and on amendments and additions to the plan, participates in the development of the collective agreement. As a result, it allows improving the university structure, social faculty support, staff and students, also strengthening the material and technical base. The chairman of the Supervisory Board from April, 2012 to March, 2013 was Murat Koyshibaevich Teleuov – a director of the Department of science and human resources of MoH RK. The Supervisory Board is currently headed by Alma Alibekovna Syzdykova – a director of the Department of Science and Human Resources of MoH RK.

Since 2012 there is a Central Asian international conference on medical education at the initiative of the University. Since 2013 KSMU takes part in the implementation of projects under the program of the European Union Tempus IV: the Central Asian network for education, research and innovation in the field of environmental health; creation of inter-regional network of National centers for medical education aimed to the introduction of problem-based learning and virtual patients; and also assistance in development of education organizations through the human development.

Today there is an implementation of multilevel structure of continuous medical training in KSMU. It includes a medical college for the mid-level health workers training and also the department of continuing professional development where over three thousand doctors annually raise their professional level. There is a credit education technology and three-stage model of training in the university: Bachelor - Master – PhD/doctorate. In 2013 there were opened new bachelor specialties "Biology" and "Technology of pharmaceutical production". Currently, a training of the teaching staff in KSMU carried out within the master and doctoral PhD on specialties "Medicine", "Public health", "Nursing", "Pharmacy", "Technology of pharmaceutical production" and "Medical-preventive work".

The faculty of the university introduces new advanced technologies of training and supervision of students' knowledge, simulation technologies, also material and technical base of the university departments is improving. More than eight thousand students get education in state, Russian and English languages. Today 70 professors and doctors of sciences, 251 associate professors, candidates of sciences and PhDs, and also 68 undergraduates teach at the university. The university infrastructure enables to get the conditions for education in accordance with the latest requirements and carry out scientific research and it also includes five educational buildings with classrooms with interactive equipment, scientific library with reading and multimedia rooms, educational and clinical (training) center with high-tech equipment and manikins, research center and educational and scientific laboratories, six halls and 46 clinical sites of academic departments. To pass the professional student practice there are contracts with 205 clinical sites situated in all regions of Kazakhstan as well as in neighboring countries and beyond. The university hasan accredited polyclinic and dental clinic.

In 2014 there was opened the Consultative-diagnostic center of the medical university. The Center is equipped with modern and therapeutic equipment to deliver health care to the region population up to national and international standards

A multiple-access laboratory for molecular genetic testing fitted with equipment of global brands was opened in 2013 as a part of research center. The laboratory allows carrying out research at the highest international standards and providing consultative and diagnostic services to the population. Also, the research and public health laboratory operates in the structure of the SIC.

The university maintains international contacts with universities and research centers of near and far abroad countries. The partnership is carried out with 60 universities, hospitals and research centers from 22 countries. KSMU is a member of the Association for Medical Education in Europe (AMEE), Association for the Study of Medical Education (ASME), the Organization for PhD Education in Biomedicine and Health Sciences in the European System (ORPhEUS) and the University Mobility in Asia and thePacific (UMAP).

A particular attention is paid to the development of student research at university. In 2014 at the conference "Youth and Science: new perspectives and solutions" there were presented 54 reports of young researchers on topical issues of medicine. Today, an innovative approach to student education based on “Research based learning” is implemented at university. This approach forms not only knowledge and skills of students, but also skills for scientific work. A scientific component becomes an important part of the education program, at the same time the university teaching activity is aimed to the clinical training of future medical professionals. To conduct professional practices there were signed agreements with more than 200 medical organizations of the republic and far and near abroad.

The practical activity of the university staff working at the clinical departments is one of the important parts of the university activity and is focused on the strategic direction of health development. There are 39 clinical departments on medical, surgical, pediatric and dental profile in university. At 46 clinical sites of KSMU 292 of teachers, including 38 of doctors of medicine sciences, 91 of candidates of medical sciences, as well as teachers - doctors having the highest and the first qualifying category give medical-diagnostic and advisory assistance to the population. The latest equipment provides to carry out a qualitative diagnostics even in remote villages. A tertiary care with the use of the modern endovideosurgery equipment is one of the important areas of clinical activity of KSMU.

5 endovideoscopy racks: 3 laparoscopic including a children one, arthroscopic and hystero-resectoscope were acquired by the university for providing access to the latest technologies of diagnostics and treatment.

The graduates are the main university certificate. More than 33 thousand highly qualified doctors successfully and favorably work in all regions of Kazakhstan as well as near and far abroad.

Three of KSMU graduates in different years headed the medical service of the country: the RK Minister of Health (1971-1982), academician of the Russian academy of medical sciences and the National academy of sciences of the RK, laureate of the State prize of the RK and professor Toregeldy Sharmanovich Sharmanov; the Minister of Health (2006 -2008), laureate State prize of the RK and doctor of medical sciences Anatoliy Grigorevich Dernovoi; the RK Minister of Health (2010-2014), doctor of medical sciences Salidat Zekenovna Kairbekova.

Today Karaganda State Medical University continues to write its history traditions of quality teaching, education union, science and practice, international recognition and continuous improvement of specialist training in accordance with the requirements of modern society.

Documentary film “65th anniversary of KSMU”